The benefits of a positive mindset are undisputable. From strengthening the immune system to lowering perceptions of pain, to improving life satisfaction, positivity is scientifically known to improve overall health and well-being.
And so, with this knowledge, we believe the concepts of positive psychology can greatly improve your chances of fulfilling your goals and dreams. After all, the Law of Attraction is all about positive experiences: positive energy, positive thinking, and positive goals.
In this article, we’ll cover what positive psychology is, the general concepts, and how you can create a positive mindset with positive quotes for vision boards.
WHAT IS POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY?
Positive Psychology is a branch of psychology that focuses on strengths rather than weaknesses. While other branches have an emphasis on problems, such as stress and trauma, positive psychology puts attention on a person's strengths and the overall outlook of situations.
Researchers in this field collect data and analyze the aspects of a person’s character that create a fulfilling and satisfying life.
Martin Seligman is often considered to be the father of positive psychology, as he started the theory in 1988. His groundbreaking research on learned helplessness created the framework of the theory.
Learned helplessness is a state wherein a person believes he doesn’t have control over his life, and when circumstances create obstacles and failures, he succumbs to the condition because he believes he can’t do anything about it.
Seligman was praised for his research but also felt there was something more he could contribute to the field of psychology. Yes, he discovered the concept of learned helplessness, but then what?
When he became the President of the American Psychological Association in 1988, he introduced Positive Psychology, which is a scientific approach to building a life of meaning and purpose, moving beyond mere survival as human beings, but thriving and experiencing the elements of a good life.
THE BENEFITS OF POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY
Studies on the effect of positive psychology are extensive. Research has shown that having a positive mindset improves overall health, reduces stress levels, improves life satisfaction, contributes to success, and can even prolong your life.
Here are some statistics on positivity:
- People who have a positive mindset can tolerate up to 50% more pain than people who have a negative mindset.
- 85%of individuals who have a positive mindset experience less anxiety and depression.
- Positive people are 50% less likely to die over the next 10 years versus those who have a negative mindset.
- 54%of successful and wealthy individuals credit optimism as part of their success.
- 71%of rich people have a habit of gratitude.
- 79%of financially successful individuals believed they would be rich before they became a success.
Here’s another list, showing the benefits of having a positive mindset:
- Improved life span
- Lower rates of depression
- Improved ability to fight infections
- Reduced risk of dying from cancer
- Lower levels of pain
- Greater resistance to disease
- Improved cardiovascular health
This information has been proven by scientific studies of people who are optimistic versus pessimistic. It goes to show the immense benefits of positivity in the psychological, emotional, and physical health of individuals.
And yes, positivity is also known to increase your chances of success in your career, business, and life in general.
Theorists believe there are several reasons why a positive mindset can bring about these benefits, one of which is that positive individuals have a better ability to cope and respond to stressful situations.
Another theory is that positive individuals tend to live a healthier lifestyle. They exercise more, eat healthier, have good relationships, and take better care of themselves versus people with a negative mindset.
HOW TO CULTIVATE A POSITIVE MINDSET
We know positive thinking can bring about overall improvement in physical and psychological health, but if you’re a pessimist, can you learn how to be an optimist? The answer is a big yes.
Positivity can be learned so you, too, can experience the benefits of optimism. Here are some of the ways you can cultivate a positive mindset:
Gratitude is finding things in your life that you are grateful for. You may not have a million dollars in your bank account, but you have a roof over your head, food in your fridge, and dreams you have yet to fulfill.
By looking at the good things in your life right now, you realize you are so much more blessed than you think you are. This can help you realize that your current life is actually better than you first thought it was.
TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOURSELF
You can’t have a positive mindset if you’re not feeling good. Take care of your skin, get a gym membership, and replace junk food in your pantry with fruits and healthier alternatives. Ditch the soda and drink juice, instead.
Stop smoking, drink moderately, and take the stairs instead of an elevator. Taking care of yourself will instantly give you a good feeling and isn’t that what positivity is about? Feeling good, so you experience good things in life?
IMPROVE YOUR SELF-TALK
Self-talk is where a positive mindset starts. If you’ve always talked to yourself in a negative way, it’s time to change. Here are some examples of how negative self-talk can be improved:
- “I can’t do this, I’ve never done this before,” to “I will use this opportunity to learn something new.”
- “I failed once, I can’t bear to fail again,” to “I’ll give it one more try.”
- “Everything's too complicated,” to “I’ll use a different approach this time.”
- “I’m never going to get that promotion,” to “I’ll improve and work even harder.”
Positive people see opportunities whereas negative people see hopelessness. Observe and analyze your problems, identify them, but then give your focus to finding solutions. And lastly, believe you can overcome and a good outcome will come out of it.
POSITIVE QUOTES FOR VISION BOARD
According to psychologist Rick Hanson, who is a senior fellow at UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center, the human brain is hardwired for negativity. In terms of evolution science, negative thinking can save us from potential danger, protect us from predators, and keep us safe from harm.
However, humans have evolved and modern society is a completely different landscape, which means negativity bias no longer serves us the way it used to.
We need to learn how to be more positive, so we can cultivate the endless benefits of positive psychology in our lives.
Create a vision board of positivity by adding positive quotes aside from happy and optimistic pictures. The Vision Cloud’s Vision Board Magazine Kit is a great physical vision board that contains positive words, questions, quotes, and affirmations in their magazine book, but you can always add more.
Add words of optimism to your vision board and let it help transform your negative thoughts into positive ones, so you can transmit good energy in your journey to achieving your goals and creating the life of your dreams.
We’ve gathered 15 amazing positive quotes we believe can help you develop the thought patterns needed to transform your mindset.
Here are positive quotes for the vision board you can add to your collage of pictures:
- ”Great things happen to those who don’t stop believing, trying, learning, and being grateful.” -Roy T. Bennett
- ”A dead end is just a good place to turn around.” - Naomi Judd
- ”Every day, there are 1,440 minutes. That means we have 1,440 daily opportunities to make a positive impact.” - Les Brown
- ”Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.” - Willie Nelson
- ”It’s your outlook on life that counts. If you take yourself lightly and don’t take yourself too seriously, pretty soon you can find humor in our everyday lives. And sometimes it can be a lifesaver.” - Betty White
- ”It’s a whole lot more satisfying to reach for the stars, even if you end up landing only on the moon.” - Kermit the Frog, The Muppets
- ”Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.” - Colin Powell
- ”Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power.” - William James
- ”Say something positive and you’ll see something positive.” - Jim Thompson
- ”Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive, good things and good people will be drawn to you.” - Mary Lou Retton
- ”Every strike brings me closer to a home run.” - Babe Ruth
- ”Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.” - Tony Robbins
- ”Your attitude is critical to success. If you expect things to be difficult, it will always be easier to solve problems, overcome adversity, and have an enthusiastic energy about how you go about and enjoy your work.” - Nick Saban
- ”Success is falling nine times and getting up ten.” - Jon Bon Jovi
- ”Don’t waste a minute not being happy. If one window closes, run to the next window - or break down a door.” - Brooke Shields
Choose quotes that resonate with you and speak to your soul. Write them down, have them printed out, or memorize them by heart. Whenever a thought of negativity passes your thoughts, stop yourself and remember these quotes.
Get rid of any negative thoughts and energy within you, and replace them with positivity that can help you live a life of satisfaction, fulfillment, and true happiness.